Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Incredible Read

I read this book about a week ago and it is incredible. It is very eye opening and gets you to thinking! I know for me it made a huge impact!!






"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter." quote from Frances Chan

Think about that statement for a while. Isn't that the truth? Through God's Word and other reading my eyes have really been opened to what am I spending my time on? Is it on things that really matter and will last for eternity?


"We need to stop giving people excuses not to believe in God. You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion'. I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live." quote from Frances Chan

Sadly, I've been the person sitting in the pews not always living out what God called us to live. I am determined to change that this year! Like I stated in my previous blog entry I want 2011 to be different. We all get so comfortable with living our everyday lives that we forget what is important-what really matters! And strangely enough when you try to live this out, some Christians even look at you like you're crazy. Sad.

A couple of other things that stood out to me:

"Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives."

"Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, our lack of grace toward others, or our tight grip of control.
Both worry and stress reek of arrogance. They declare our tendency to forget we've been forgiven, that our lives here are brief, that we are headed to a place where we won't be lonely, afraid, or hurt ever again, and that in the context of God's strength, our problems are small indeed." Quote from Frances Chan

Wow.

The whole book is fantastic! Read it. Beware though. It will challenge you! May we all be up to the challenge to live out God's purpose for our life!

2 comments:

  1. I just bought that book today and we are going to study it in small group! I have been watching some of the videos on his site and they are so good!
    The statement about worrying....WOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff! I'll put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete