Monday, March 7, 2011

Marriage Monday-Communication

Communication. I would say that is one area in our marriage that I have learned the most about through the years. I have wasted a lot of times being upset about something I thought Keith was "thinking" or what he meant when he didn't communicate. What a mistake!! Men and women think so differently which really is a blessing to a marriage, but sadly, I think too many assumptions are made that can lead to unnecessary tension. So, her are some things I've learned:

Never assume anything! Talk with your spouse about the situation. Ask him what his thought is on a subject. Don't assume you know what he is thinking.

Don't give hints. I've learned I have to tell Keith what I'm thinking or what I want. I can't hint around to him helping with things around the house or that we need a night out. I remember one day years ago, he said, "Babe, just tell me what you want me to do and I'll do it." Wow! That is simple enough and he means it. Who knew it could be so easy? : )

Timing and tone are everything. My tone can be bad because I get defensive when I am hurt or upset. God has shown me through the years to slow down and not overreact to situations. I would love to say it always works, but it doesn't. The times I do follow through though work out well.

Pray about the conversation ahead of time. This is huge and something I have gotten better at doing through the years. I pray for the right words, tone, and correct timing. I pray that God will help me communicate effectively. Conversations always go better when you pray about them first.

I've learned to keep Keith updated on what is going on in my life. With his work schedule, some times I think I've told him something and I've really talked about it with my girlfriends and forgotten to tell him. I work on keeping him informed.

It's important to let Keith know how crazy I am about him. I try to intentionally thank him for all he does for our family and for me. I think any husband would love to hear his wife give him praises for the great things he does for his family. I constantly tell him how much I love him and how much he means to me because this is one thing I never want him to question!

So, I've grown a lot through the years in communication, but I know I still have a lot to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment